Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:54:56 -0400
From:      Matt Johnson <mattj@maine.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound card problems (Yamaha xg)

I've just recently installed FreeBSD on the K6-2 machine, and I
everything in it works fine except the sound card.  Checking the box it
came in was not much help..for what it's worth, the card is an
"IDEMA 3D Sound Card". It is a PCI card.  When I briefly had OpenBSD on
this box, I remembered the dmesg saying something about audio so on a
hunch I dd'ed up myself an OpenBSD bootdisk and booted off it, escaped
to a shell and copied the dmesg over to a FreeBSD partiton.  Here is the

part mentioning the card:

pchb1 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 "VIA Technologies VT82C586 (Apollo VP)
Power Management" rev 0x10
vendor "Yamaha", unknown product 0xd (class multimedia, subclass audio,
rev 0x03) at pci0 dev 17 function 0 not configured

This and consulting efnet #freebsd leads me to believe this card is
a Yamaha xg based PCI sound card.
I'm not sure if the pchb line above that has anything to do with the
sound card, but it is unorthodox OpenBSD dmesg policy to just say vendor

"foo", product bar rev 0x00, its usually foo0 at bar0 blah blah...
So anywho, I checked my kernel conf file, and there was no sound stuff
in my kernel, so I put the pcm driver in it, but dmesg just said
"pcm0: not found" I have yet to try pcm1, but pnpinfo lists no PnP
cards. pciconf -l lists xl0 (network card), vga0 (video card) and
these: none0, none1 chip0 chip1 chip2 chip3.  Specific card drivers list

only ISA devices.  It would really suck if it didn't work. Any ideas?
Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Also, here is my uname output:
[matt@europa ~]% uname -a
FreeBSD europa.damnsw.net 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #2: Mon Sep 27

22:34:38 EDT 1999  matt@europa.damnsw.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/EUROPA
i386

- Matt
P.S.: please send any replies to my address
(mailto:mattj@maine.rr.com) not back to the list, as I'm not subscribed
to it. Thanks.