Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:55:15 +0000
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux, LDAP and the impossibility of handling editable PDFs

Konrad Heuer wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Konrad Heuer wrote:

>>> I use a simple workaround to make the Adobe reader (and some other
>>> Linux binaries) work - I simply added following entries to the
>>> crontab file of root:
>>>
>>> 00 05  *  *  * /usr/bin/getent passwd | /usr/bin/sed '1,/nobody/d' >
>>> /usr/compat/linux/etc/passwd 2> /dev/null
>>> 15 05  *  *  * /usr/bin/getent group > /usr/compat/linux/etc/group 2>
>>> /dev/null
>>>
>>> Hope that helps a little bit ...
>>
>> Thank you very much, this works.
>> But this seems to be a hack, unclean in my opinion. As I got responses
>> earlier of the year for a similar problem, Linuxulator should utilize
>> lacking facilities from FreeBSD host system - but obviously it
>> doesn't, especially if there are non-existent users. As I realized -
>> and this puzzles me - there was no passwd file in my configuration, so
>> I guess the Linuxulator has to contact the underlying FreeBSD
>> infrastructure to get UIDs like root and others - but this seems not
>> to be the case.
>
> I agree a little bit. When we used YP years ago it was possible to edit
> /usr/compat/linux/etc/yp.conf to make the Linux binaries contact the NIS
> service.
>
> Making use of LDAP should work in an similar way. Of course my
> "solution" is a hack - but not the worst one. ;-)
>
> Best regards
>
> Konrad Heuer
> GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de

In the days of NIS/YP the Linuxulator worked very well the way you
described, so I expecte LDAP working for me. But whatever I tried to
configure (also a complete Linux-based config!), I never had success,
especially when it comes to UIDs.

Your 'hack' works for me, thank you very much.Regards,

Oliver