Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:51:21 -0600
From:      Neil Neely <neil@neely.cx>
To:        Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Storing a local copy of out going SMTP

It's been years since I used sendmail, so I can only tell you how to
do this using postfix, but with any luck it will point you in the
right direction so you can fill in the gaps.

The feature you are looking for is done via bcc, specifically
sender_bcc_maps:
from man 5 postconf:
sender_bcc_maps (default: empty)
        Optional  BCC  (blind  carbon-copy)  address  lookup tables,
indexed by
        sender address.  The BCC address (multiple results are  not
supported)
        is added when mail enters from outside of Postfix.

Configuration looks something like this:
        sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc

/etc/postfix/sender_bcc
someuser@yourdomain.com	special_address@yourdomain.com

This will make a copy of all outgoing mail and inject it into
something that looks like inbound mail so you can then get fancy and
throw procmail in the loop or whatever you want to do.  The example I
included above would send it to a single account, but you could do
that however you want.

Your request is touching on a more broad topic of "email archiving"
and a google search in there might be beneficial if you are curious
of the options that exist out there .

Neil Neely
http://neil-neely.blogspot.com