Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 00:13:43 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
To:        Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oracle 8.1.7.0.1 installation successful, anyone?

At 09:46 28-2-2002 -0600, Theodore Hope wrote:
>We've tried installing Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 (for Linux) under
>FreeBSD 4.5-release and end up with two "jre" processes
>eating all the CPU and the infamous
>"kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled" message scrolling on
>the console.  This has been reported before by others, and
>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed Oracle
>(8.1.x or 9.x) under 4.5-Release.  We can't tell if the
>main problem is with the Linux emulation, or what; thus
>my cross-posting.

I didn't succeed in installing 8.1.7 either, but I've been semi-succesful
with 9.0.1 lately.

I had to pull a few tricks but I got it to install. However, the relinking
of several binaries (like the RDBMS one) failed with some glibc errors, so
there's something not completely right with my linux libs.

9.0.1's installer uses a JDK on the CD, but I ran it with the
linux-jdk1.3.1 too. The Universal Installer is just very sensitive pacakge =(

I used the RedHat7.1 port and added some devel rpms, made the oracle user's
shell /compat/linux/bin/bash (try a 'uname -a' when logged in with a user
setup like that, it's freaky) and I had to make a /compat/linux/etc/mtab
file to keep the installer from bombing when it tries to figure out which
filesystems you have.

         Doc