Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:21:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
To:        cmaelan@online.no
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Screenshot

In Email, "Chris Meland" <cmaelan@online.no> wrote:

> Is there any way to get a screenshot of FreeBSD ? I mean, what does it
> actually look like ? (It's probably very flexable, but is there any
> screenshots avaiable anywhere?).

If you want to see a screenshot, I have a feeling that FreeBSD may not be
the OS you are looking for...

FreeBSD is a UNIX-like OS.  It is very flexible, stable, and much more.
This means, for starters, that, unlike Win95, it is _not_ a graphical
operating system.  My particular installation has 16 virtual
screens...ie. I press ALT-F1-12, or ALT-SHIFT-F1-6 and it switches
screens.  On one of these screens, a copy of Pico is running that I am
using to edit this reply.  On another is a directory listing of the /lkm/
directory.  The next couple are still at the login screen, and another
four are were I was just playing around with some programming-stuff.

However, something called XFree86 is distributed with FreeBSD.  XFree86
is graphical.  It is usually what's used to run any graphical program,
such as Netscape.  At the moment, I'm not running X, but I could easily,
just by typing `startx'.  Alternatively, some people have X started
automatically when they boot FreeBSD.  I think these people are stupid,
but most of them are a lot smarter than me, so I don't tell them that.

If you do choose to install FreeBSD, keep in mind that you will be
learning a new OS.  Many of the basic paradigms and especially symantics
are different from your typical Microsoft OS.  It _will_ take time to
relearn (unless, of course, you have had previous experience with UNIX).

--
tIM...HOEk
"Perception is often reality - or at least it is perceived as to be so"