Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        lahaye@users.sourceforge.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD breaks my CD-Rom drive ?!?

R. Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Can I break the CD-Rom setup for ever, by making a mistake in
> the configuration file of the kernel?

I have never heard of breaking a CDROM that way. However, irq conflicts
can sometimes be harmful to chips on the motherboard.

> Is somthing broken inside the CD-rom drive or on the motherboard;

If you didn't touch any hardware when you went from Linux to FreeBSD
then its unlikely that the hardware is broken. (However, I have heard
of screwing up disk drives with bad seeks, or messing up chips on the
motherboard with conflicting irqs.)

I don't remember where I read it, but when you have irq conflicts,
as you did before you took out your soundcard, you can sometimes damage
the chips on your motherboard. I hope that this didn't happen.

> or is FreeBSD doing stupid things?

Surly Not stupid things. :)

> Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov> wrote:

> > Question: Can you mount a CD9660 filesystem on the CDROM drive?

> No. All I get is a CD-Rom driver that keeps making funny noises:
> tag-tag.......tag-tag.......tag-tag, as soon as I put a CD in the
> driver; It sounds like it's trying to probe the CD.

> The console says, every now and then, when a timeout has been
> reached:

> acd0: PREVENT_ALLOW command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. ata1-master: timeout waiting for command=ef ...
>
> ata1-master: timeout waiting to give command=a0 s=80 e=20
> acd0: failure to send ATAPI packet command
> acd0: failure to execute ATAPI packet command

It sounds like the drive is not communicating with the controller properly.

I'm puzzled by this unless you changed around some hardware connections
when you changed the OS from Linux to FreeBSD. I noticed that you said
that this problem occurs on two PCs. So, did you move the CDROM from one
PC to the other?

If you have changed the hardware around, then some things to check:

	1) Make sure that the jumper on the CDROM corresponds to master,
	   since you are running it on the ata1 controller as a master.
	   Not Cable select, Alternate Capacity, or any other fancy
	   jumper setting. (I noticed on my old Seagate
	   drive that the Master setting is called: Single drive).

	2) Use the end-plug on the ribbon cable to connect to the CDROM
	   rather than the middle plug. Sometimes you get termination
	   problems connecting a single device to the middle plug.

	3) If the above two items don't help, then change the ribbon
	   cable.

	4) Make sure that all plugs are in tightly and that no pins
	   or prongs are bent or broken.

> Maybe a useful detail comparing the mount of the cdrom and the floppy
> (when both are empty; no disk/cdrom inside):

> # mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /mnt
> cd9660: /dev/acd0a: Device busy
> # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
> msdos: /dev/fd0: Input/output error

> Is that normal?

Yes, I get the same responses under those conditions.

Some final questions/comments:

I noticed that you cut your own kernel; so what are the entries
in the configure file concerning the ata/atapi stuff? The relevant
entries that work for me are:

--------------------------------

options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	FFS_ROOT		# FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options 	CD9660			# ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	CD9660_ROOT		# CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options 	MSDOSFS			# MSDOS Filesystem

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device		ata
device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		# Static device numbering

# Audio new pcm driver
device 		pcm

# Bridge driver for non-PnP isa Soundblaster card
device		sbc0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x17

The last two entries are for my non-PnP isa Soundblaster card. If your ESS
card is non-PnP, then you need the above entries also (except that
the port, irq, drq and flags are no doubt different).

One thing you could try, to determine whether you have damaged hardware,
is to re-install Linux on one of your PCs and test out your CDROM on
that OS again. If it works under Linux again, then there is something
wrong with the FreeBSD installation.

I've sort of run out of ideas here. You might try appealing to someone
else on this mailing list for some other ideas.