Date:      Sat, 2 Apr 2005 23:36:53 +0200
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can i delete /stand ?

On Saturday 02 April 2005 23:19, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:13:11 +0200
>
> "Erik N=F8rgaard" <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:
> > Some people like sysinstall as a postconfiguration tool, and documen-
> > tation refers to this. But you can run it from /usr/sbin/sysinstall
>
> I can't. Nor have I something like '/rescue/init'

=2DSTABLE (5.X) does or should. What used to be /stand is now (sort of) /re=
scue.
If you have 4.X you'll still have /stand. If you updated through cvsup for =
a=20
long time you might have both. In that case /stand is indeed a leftover. Th=
e=20
sysinstall binary was moved to /usr/bin. /rescue is in principle independen=
t=20
of sysinstall. They're statically compiled binaries that can be used in cas=
e=20
your (now "dynamic", that is linked to libraries residing elsewhere, not wi=
th=20
libraries built-in) root is broken or so. You could run, e.g. /rescue/ls.=20
Everything in /rescue is the same statically built binary but they're not t=
he=20
same as the sysinstall binary. With 4.X this was so but not anymore with 5.=
X.

Hope that clarified,

Dan