Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:02:43 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html

At 13:37 2001/12/08 -0800, Peter Leftwich wrote:

>Can someone inform me of the best option to defrag this drive,
>scandisk-thorough it, and install FreeBSD?

You're implying that the entire disk has Windows on it, correct?  To scan
and defrag,  (you probably know all this, but better to start from the
beginning) you can use the MS tools--start it in safe mode (by tapping F8
as it's booting) click ok when it tells you you're running in safe mode,
open My Computer, right click on drive C, choose tools, check for errors,
choose thorough and fix errors, run scan disk --which is going to take a
LONG time, especially if you haven't done it before, and don't worry when
it keeps starting over--it does that. :)

Same with defrag--it'll usually seem to have stopped around 10 percent, but
just let it keep running.
You probably knew all of the above, but just in case.... (as you say you
built it yourself, I'd be surprised if you didn't know the above)
Next, I think what you're asking is how to shrink the partition to allow
space for FreeBSD.

There are a variety of tools.  The easiest way, if you don't mind spending
money, is to buy PartitionMagic--it goes for about 60 dollars or so
now.  Load it on (read the manual first, there's a few gotchas) and shrink
the partition.

FreeBSD contains two tools as well (from the online handbook):

The tools directory on the CDROM contains two free software tools which can
carry out this task, FIPS and PResizer. Documentation for both of these is
in the same directory.

So, you could look in the tools directory on the CD and see if those will
work for you.

HTH a bit

Scott Robbins