Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:33:06 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?V=E1clav_Haisman?=" <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot on ASUS Vintage-PE1

On 12/3/06, V=E1clav Haisman <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been given new hw to move one of our servers to, the ASUS Vintage-=
PE1.
> Last two times I have been changing hw for the server I only needed to mo=
ve
> disks to new box and everything worked, the OS booted without any
> complications. Not this time with this new hw. When I put the disks into =
the
> Vintage-PE1 hw, the loader doesn't find the root and kernel. In fact, the
> loader's lsdev does not show any partitions/devices besides the raw disks=
.
> There are two 200G Seagate disks in GEOM Mirror. The OS is FreeBSD 6.1.
>
> Is the Vintage-PE1 hw known to have problems with FreeBSD (or vice versa)=
? (I
> googled but I did not find anything significant.)
>

>From asus's page about the vintage pe1:

: Recover Pro is an always available recovery tool. It
: stores user data, applications and the operating
: system in the host-protected area of the hard drive.
: Users can easily recover system to their original
: factory conditions or to a more recent state without
: restore CDs. No need to worry about losing data
: due to virus attacks.

Perhaps this has something to do with it?  If such
a thing were to overwrite the partition table(s) you
would have a very unbootable system.

--=20