Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:09:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@i33.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootable hardware RAID solutions?

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Amir Y. Rosenblatt wrote:

> I'm preparing to rebuild my FreeBSD 2.2.2 box and want to make it somewhat
> more fault-tolerant than it is now.  I'm interested in using a Mylex
> SCSI-SCSI RAID card (in an enclosure with apair of hot-swappable disks) to
> do mirroring and I'm wondering if such a device is compatible with FreebD
> 2.2.2-stable (I would assume it is since it just sits on the SCSI chain
> and pretends to be a disk) and if I'd be able to actually boot my system
> from that sort of RAID (i.e. is it transparent enough to pretend to be my
> boot disk or do I need to use some other disk for that and just stick
> everything else on it?)?

I don't believe Mylex hardware is supported, unless it emulates something
else.  DPT makes RAID adapters and they do have a FreeBSD driver (not
shipped w/ FreeBSD but easily installed).

Whether such a disk system is bootable or not is a function of the
controller.  I would assume that it would support something like that
since as you mention, a RAID array looks like a big disk to the rest of
the system.

You might also look at ccd if you don't need hot-swappability.  It can be
configured to do mirroring if you're using identical disks, and it can do
striping as well.  See ccd(4).

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo