Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:05:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dchapman@houabg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dset seems BROKEN (Re: Elf Kernel)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> Since I compiled my elf kernel, when I run the kernel -c to configure
> it, the changes don't stay when I reboot, I am not running the new boot
> loader, but are running the new boot blocks, anyone know what's
> happening.

I think 'dset' is still broken for ELF kernels. As I mentioned before,
either we fix it, or replace it with a /kernel.config generator. I have
written such a program, the question is: do we want to use it?

So, I'd say, your only option for now is to manually write a
/kernel.config file and load it.

You need to run /boot/loader to be able to load /kernel.config. There's
currently no other way to do it. Once you created this file, stick this
invocation into your /boot/boot.conf:

	load /kernel
	load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/