Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:28:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ALERT: New Jordan's a.out->ELF upgrade is broken!!!

Don't cross-post to both -hackers and -stable, use one list.

> 1. It will not install new boot blocks (see message below).
> 2. It will not build ELF kernel with ELF config and ELF tools
>    on a running 2.2.X.  (Am I right)?
> 3. It gives no chance to revert, because it installs ELF world
>    before new boot blocks and new kernel get installed.

There is still more work which needs to be done on the ordering and
TOC for what's installed.  Your own changes were overly simplistic and
had other problems of their own.  I'll be further refining this over
the next couple of days - I just took "kickme" to 4.0 with it and only
one failure (to reboot, which was comparatively minor).  This is
and harder problem to solve than you seem to give it credit for,
and I'd also appreciate it if you'd start sending me diffs rather
than commentaries.  Don't tell me what you THINK it does or should
do, show me changes which have been empirically proven to do it
better.

- Jordan