Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:43:12 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_ed(4) & kvtop()

[please bear with my relative n00bness; i'm trying to cut my teeth on some
driver hackery]

The ne2k driver ed(4) is disabled in amd64's kernel because it doesn't even
compile. I gather that its use of kvtop() is deprecated as well (from the
busdma project page). The pointer size problems with this driver I can deal
with - there are some local variables declared int which need to be
c(?)addr_t instead. But I have no idea what to do with kvtop(). Some googling
yields hits about it being taken out, and about people being confused and the
handbook section on the PCI bus containing an outdated section. But nothing
about what the function does (well, I can guess virtual-to-physical address
translation for kernelspace) or what is supposed to replace it. Barring a cvs
log on some driver that's already made the transition to not using kvtop(),
is there any documentation available on the issue? Or a hint, at least?