Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:48:58 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel message: stray irq 7

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Grigory Kljuchnikov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got kernel message:
>
> /kernel: stray irq7
>
> when I've tried to connect to modem on /dev/cuaa1 by kermit.
>
> The part of dmesg is:
>
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
>
> I have got only modem connected to /dev/cuaa1, there isn't
> a printer and a mouse. And I cannot connect to modem.
>
> What is the matter?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Grigory Klyuchnikov
> Institute for System Programming Russian Academy of Sciences,
> 109004, Moscow, Russia, B.Kommunistitcheskay, 25,
>   phone(work):   +7-095-9125659
>   fax:           +7-095-9121524
>   e-mail:        <grn@ispras.ru>

I have the identical problem with OpenBSD on my router/firewall box.
The problem seems to be that a printer is NOT connected.  The
'acknowledge' pin on the interface is floating, thus is extremely
susceptible to EMI.  Try either connecting a printer to the interface
or dig up the Centronics interface data and tie the offending pin high
or low as indicated.

Same problem occurs with IRQ 15 with no drives attached to the IDE
secondary port.  These spurious IRQ's are merely an annoyance except on
a router box, where they sometimes cause overruns on the NIC receive
buffer.

Dave