Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 23:23:29 +1000
From:      Marcus Gallagher <marcusg@elec.uq.edu.au>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My sound problems (again)

Randall Hopper wrote:

>  |Well, I've been playing around with my sound setup again, trying to get
>  |it to work with FreeBSD (v2.1)
>  |The card is a Creative AWE32.  I think the device is probed on bootup
>  |(the speakers pop), and if I do
>  |mixer vol 100
>  |I can hear the speakers "hissing".  So why if I do
>  |cat anything.au > /dev/audio
>  |it just hangs there, as for other things (e.g RealAudio, just hangs).
>  |Any help very much appreciated!
>
>      I've been running the same version of Voxware that you are on a Sound
> Blaster 32 (AWE32 - mem + vibra) on v2.1 and later versions without any
> problems (currently running it now on a 2.2 SNAP, except with an EMU8000
> MIDI driver added).  Should be pretty much the same as your config
> soundcard hardware-wise.
>
>      Just a few things come to mind that you might check.  1) Possible
> IRQ/DMA conflict with another card?  2) do the boot-up messages confirm all
> the relevent sound drivers are picking up your card?:
>
>      sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
>      sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
>      sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
>      sbxvo0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
>      sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
>       <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
>      opl0 at 0x388 on isa
>      opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

Yes, these messages all come up on bootup.  Dosen't seem to be any
conflicts with other cards.

> 3) if you're running a PCI motherboard, do you have IRQ5, DMA 1, and DMA 5
> reserved for ISA in your BIOS?  And 4) Is your AWE PNP?

Yes, irq5, dma1 and dma5 are reserved for isa in the bios.
Yes, its PNP
But, it still dosen't work.  I have Win95 installed as well, and it
seems to work just fine under it.

Oh, and all the right devices seem to be in /dev - e.g, audio, snd0,
etc.....

*sigh*

Marcus.

--