Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:36:24 +0200
From:      "Langa Kentane" <evablunted@earthling.net>
To:        "FreeBSD" <Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Networks access problems

I don't know if my problem is related to dns or what but when I telnet or
ftp to localhost on my server then I connect instantly.  But when I use my
host name or IP address (192.168.1.3) then I cannot connect. All it says in
ftp is connected though it does not give you the login prompt.

When I do it from my NT workstation on the same network segment I get the
same response in command line ftp but when I do it from a browser, it
connects, after a while though. When I telnet from the NT workstation.  It
connected using both hostname and IP address but it takes a while to do so.

I am using FreeBSD 3.2-R on a Pentium 200MMX with 32 meg ram.  My net card
is a Realtek 8029 (PCI) ne2000 compatible.

Please help

Langa Kentane
Manager: Network Operations
Sunshine Networks