Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 18:38:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        Mark Stout <mcs@vpm.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ftpaccess successfully?

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Mark Stout wrote:

> I need to setup restricted logins using ftpaccess config file.  But I seem
> to have missed something.  Here's what I believe I have done correctly.
>
>   * I have the correct permissionson the directory structure for /ftp.
>   * I have the necessary passwd & group files in /ftp/etc as mode 444
>     and owned by root.
>   * I have the ls command in /ftp/bin, mode 111 owned by root.
>   * The /etc/group file has the appropriate groups for the users (guest).
>   * The /etc/passwd file has the home directory set as :/ftp/./userid:
>     (I have used /bin/sh & /etc/ftponly for the shell.  Both are in the
>      /etc/shells file)
>
> The anonymous user can login just fine, but any other user gets a failed
> login no matter what I do.  Does *anyone* have this working?  I definately
> am at my wits end on this.

here is my ftpaccess file:
guestgroup	cgames

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all local remote
tar             yes             all local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email user@hostname

hope this helps...  TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)