Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:12:05 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>
Cc:        marcus@marcuscom.com (Joe Marcus Clarke), tuc@ttsg.com (Tuc), blovett@bsdguru.com (Ben Lovett), freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell 8200 - NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go - XF86

On Friday 26 April 2002 07:19 pm, Tuc wrote:
| > There's lots to choose from.  I favor kde myself, but you install them
| > all the same basic way . . .
| >
| > Note that installing one from packages probably won't generate optimal
| > results since you have a newer X.
|
| 	Do tell. Can you explain more?

Well, it's probably perfectly find, but the packages are built once, at
release time, whereas the XFree 4.2 postdates the release, so it has to be
build from that port.  If you build both from ports, then they are both
current.  If you install both from packges, then they are both older (current
as of when the release was done).  But if you build X from a port and install
the window manager as a package, then the wind up running with an older
package over a newer X.

This will almost certainly work just fine, but it's not the usual order in
which things are done (if anything one typically has a newer window manager
over an older X), and you run some risk of anomolies.  Not much of a risk,
really, since the release isn't that old, but I'd still recommend building
the window manager from ports if you can.

Indeed, it's generally best, in my experience to either make a package-based
system, using ports for those few specific cases where there's some reason to
build from ports, or a port-based system only using packges for those few
cases where the ports won't work.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go