Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:52:00 -0700
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        Ivan Krivonos <int0dster@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on QorIQ t2080 and p3041

Hi Ivan,

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Ivan Krivonos <int0dster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have some Freescale t2080 and p3041 in the lab as well as Trace32
> hardware debugger and some free time. I`d like to contribute to
> the FreeBSD/ppc in terms of adding minimal support for e500mc/e6500
> and devices (MPIC + console + may be fman/dtsec) to have FreeBSD booted
> and work there. Right now I`m trying to get started on p1010 with e500 CPU
> core.
>
> I successfully built FreeBSD kernel and user-space for e500 but have no idea
> how to start it on the p1010 target.
>
> 1) I`m trying to tftpboot and then bootelf the kernel image, but it hangs.
> Am I doing
> something wrong ?
>
> 2) It seems that user-space shall be exported to the target through NFS. Is
> there
> a way to have binary image of rootfs and mount root from there ?
>
> Could please any one kick me to the right direction ?

There is currently some work going on rewriting the book-e boot code
(more help is greatly appreciated, if you're familiar enough with
early boot to chip in).  On my routerboard (e500v2, mpc8544E CPU), it
hangs at boot most times.  I tracked that down to TLB invalidation,
which may be what you're seeing as well, but sometimes it does fully
boot.  There is a way to embed a rootfs into the kernel, but I'm not
certain how to do that.  I found a page, dating back to 2006, which
describes it:  http://maxim.int.ru/tricks/ramdisk.txt , but haven't
tried it yet.

Does yours hang immediately at boot?  Could you share your kernel
config?  Any logs, it hangs later, too.

The way I found to track down the hang location was to put forced CPU
resets at places and see if the board resets.  On the mpc8544 it
consists of writing to the Reset register, so I disable address
translation, and write to the register at a fixed address (CCSRBAR is
known, so I hard code it, rather than trying to determine it).

- Justin