Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:51:41 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Mozilla Crasher

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 14:29:16 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>boot the system in single-user mode and perform a forced fsck
>of all related filesystems. Verify _first_ that all
>filesystems are clean and consistent in order to get
>valid results from all further experiments.

Take the TRIM feature into account! It might add some random issues. For
my Linux installs I'm in favour of periodic TRIM, instead of continuous
TRIM for my _internal_ SSDs. My FreeBSD install is on an USB stick, so
no SSD is involved.

All my external drives are spinning HDDs only and I returned tons of
ordered hard drive enclosures to my dealer and joined countless forums
of hard drive enclosures vendors. In my 53 years on this planet, I never
encountered more issues related to anything else, but fishy USB to SATA
controllers, while using HDDs only as external drives.

Note! It's already not easy to get partly reliable SMART data for
internal used SSDs. For the SSDs I'm using, the vendor provides
proprietary software for Linux.

I seriously wonder that using a SSD as an external drive gains
anything, but trouble.

I've got no good experiences with UAS(P) when using HDDs. Remember, I
don't use SSDs as external drives. IIUC UAS(P) is required to enable
TRIM.