Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:50:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Kristofer Pettijohn <kpettijohn@visi.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Load balance / cluster software

Well, you're asking about software, and looking for something in ports,
and I'm going to reccomend hardware that can cost a decent amount of cash,
so this answer probably won't suit you.

But it is an answer, and what I use, and have been able to shop around
well enough to have one at home, so...

Ever consider a Serveriron from Foundry Networks? It does all kinds of
neat stuff, and can do layer 4 (making sure a port is open) up
through layer 7 (getting a web page w/o a 404, or making sure DNS queries
get answers), can handle up to 1,000,000 current connections, is capable
of doing GSLB (Global Server Load Balancing -- for if you have more than
one physical location), Firewall load balancing, and even some routing.
From your question, it seems like you're giving redundancy some thought,
and if you have the money, they're well worth it.

New they can cost you the price of a couple machines ($8,000 or so).
I found a company that went under and bought two for $1,400, which is
probably the steal of the century. I sold one of them for well more than
that, and have the other doing my home DSL switching, packet filtering,
and load balancing, and it requires zero maintainance, and even filters
Nimda and other junk from scanning my network.

http://www.foundrynet.com if you're interested.

And for what it's worth, I'm certified out the wazoo on Cisco stuff and
know it forwards and backwards, and I'd buy foundry at every opportunity.

Now if that doesn't fit your criteria on account of budget, needs,
whatever -- I understand. So let me give you one other link. O'Reilly has
a book that you could use, aptly titled, "Server Load Balancing."

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/serverload/inx.html

Hope any of that helped.

And you might be able to use ipfw or nat to do it as well. Expect Crist J.
Clark to expound the intricacies if so.

Thomas