Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2019 17:54:02 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, arm@FreeBSD.org, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 13-CURRENT snapshot 20190718 r350103 doesn't boot on BeagleBone White

> [...]
the
>>> DTS files.
>>>=20
>>> We need a TI maintainer that's all.
>>=20
>> I'd recommend we disconnect the builds then or something so that =
people
>> know not even to bother to try the images instead of wasting hours of
>> time trying to figure out what's wrong w/ the images...
>>=20
>> At least then I'd post where's the images, and you would have replied
>> that things aren't working...
>>=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>>  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579
>>=20
>>     "All that I will do, has been done, All that I have, has not."
>=20
> So I've unbroken the BBB.
>=20
> I've made two commits :
> r350229 ([1]) changes the hwmod driver to lookup the property in the
> parent node as the dts changed that.
> r350230 ([2]) adds a new driver for the ti,sysc bus. It's a simplebus
> like bus and for now we only threat it like if it was.
>=20
> But this is not enough to boot on BBB for now with the latest DTS.
> I've put on a github branch ([3]) two other commits.
>=20
> The first one correct the region of uart0 which isn't correct, I guess =
linux
> doesn't care about this as much as we do. Since this patches the DTS I =
want
> to start the process of upstreaming first before commiting this patch =
into
> our tree. I also want to update the DTS to Linux 5.2 since I want to =
merge
> those for 12.1 .
> The second one take care of a problem in ofw_reg_to_paddr. Since we =
have now
> a lot of region in the ti.sysc drivers, using only 32 pcells for the =
regions
> isn't enough. I've temporary bumped this value to 64 which is enough =
for booting
> on the BBB but we need a cleaner solution. I'll look into it soon-ish.
>=20
> So right now if you want to run current on BBB please take update you =
source tree
> and take the two patches from my github branch.
>=20
> Note that I think that this is the last time that I fix TI related =
problems
> in the tree. I've spent too much time fixing BBB and Pandaboard during =
the
> last 12 months and I don't even use or care about those boards. If =
someone
> wants to keep them alive please invest time or money into this.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/ti/ti_hwmods.c?revision=3D350=
229&view=3Dmarkup
> [2] : =
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/ti/ti_sysc.c?revision=3D35023=
0&view=3Dmarkup
> [3] : https://github.com/evadot/freebsd/tree/bbb

In the course of resuming the work on a measurement controller project, =
whose heart is a BeagleBone Black, I updated the running FreeBSD =
13.0-CURRENT r345380 (March 2019) to the latest snapshot r350103 =
(2019-07-18), which didn=E2=80=99t include your patches yet, and as =
expected, I experienced the BBB hanging at boot. So, I compiled a new =
Kernel from trunk, r350391, including your patches [1]/[2] and manually =
[3], and I replaced the dtb directory on the FAT partition of the BBB =
with the new one, which has been generated together with the kernel. =
Unfortunately, the BBB still hangs in the very same stage during booting =
up. So, nothing has been unbroken.

I tried the kernel r350103 (no =E2=80=9Eun-breaking=E2=80=9C patches =
yet) with the latest dtb, no dice either.

Now, I checked out the other stages of the sys/gnu/dts/arm directory, =
i.e.:

svn co -r 347365 https://svn.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/gnu/dts/arm =
arm-5.0
svn co -r 346091 https://svn.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/gnu/dts/arm =
arm-4.2

I rebuild the kernel r350391 having all patches applied, but after =
replacing sys/gnu/dts/arm by a symlink to each of the older DTS =
versions, respectively. DTS-5.0 did not work same hanger. However, with =
DTS-4.2, I saw a major advancement in the boot sequence, and the BB =
Black stopped only when it thought it is a Green one:

   fb0: <AM335x LCD controller> mem 0x4830e000-0x4830efff irq 43 on =
simplebus0
   ti_adc0: <TI ADC controller> mem 0x44e0d000-0x44e0dfff irq 44 =
disabled on simplebus0
   ti_adc0: scheme: 0x1 func: 0x730 rtl: 0 rev: 0.1 custom rev: 0
   gpioled0: <GPIO LEDs> on ofwbus0
   gpioled0: <beaglebone:green:heartbeat> failed to map pin
   gpioled0: <beaglebone:green:mmc0> failed to map pin
   gpioled0: <beaglebone:green:usr2> failed to map pin
   gpioled0: <beaglebone:green:usr3> failed to map pin
   cryptosoft0: <software crypto>
   panic: No usable event timer found!
   cpuid =3D 0
   time =3D 1
   Uptime: 1s
   Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
   Rebooting...

I removed patches [1] and [3] and left the DTS-4.2 in place, then I =
compiled and installed another kernel+dtb, and finally, with this one, =
the BBB completed booting successfully without any hick-up.

Bottom line. Your patches didn=E2=80=99t resolve anything, but only made =
the situation worse. Without [1] we were at least able to refrain to the =
ARM-DTS-4.2, in order to get the BBB running. With [1] even this path is =
broken. So please revert [1], and then I happily take your word that =
this was the last time =E2=80=9Ethat you fix TI related problems.=E2=80=9C=

Best regards

Rolf