Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:21:23 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        "Purwa Riadi" <purwa@progs4wealth.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Password Recovery

> My server ( 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE), the password for root
> is missing. And, I cant get the correct password. I was try many
> programs in C from packetstorm.securify.com but still cant get the
> solve. The main problem is that my server cant be stopped because
> the server is very important for my network.

Unless the password is weak, you're not going to be able to get at it
in a very short period of time.  (After all, if you could crack the
root password using some program off the Internet, then that would
mean any of your users could do the same thing.  That would be bad.)

If you have physical access to the machine, you can reboot it and drop
into single user mode to change root's password.  This is covered in
the FAQ.

> [ ... ]

Please don't do that.

Lucas