Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 23:17:01 -0700
From:      "Eric Peters" <epeters@bewellnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Curse of the COMs...

This one has me stumped.  So, like any good(?) hardware tech, I try tach # 2
& still, this box despises me.

Start: 1 Tyan dual processor 1696DLUA Thunder 2 ATX (Built in SCSI, Dual
processor, etc).   Misc hardware, plus: 1 33.6k ISA Modem, configured for
Com 2: IRQ3 Addr 0x2f8
Modem works great ppp is all and well and happy, using 3-Stable built mid
March.

The change: Replace the motherboard with: 1 Tyan dual processor S1836
Thunder 100  (Equivalant to the above with a few noted differences: Includes
built-in ethernet, supports 100Mhz CPU Bus frequency, & golly, that's a
different BIOS to match)

All other hardware remains the same.
Ah, did need to recompile the kernel with different SMP params, but all was
well, except the modem.  It wasn't responding.  All other parts of the
system remained sane.  Of note: The modem was on sio1, but opening sio0
(unconfigured in the BIOS, but detected during boot in place of sio1) hung
the PC neat as anything.

The generic kernel (which found the modem fine earlier) didn't see the modem
either.
I fiddled with BIOS params & modem jumpers until I turned blue, no help.

Time for the other tach:
I purchace 1 modem, careful to get a PCI modem & avoid all those extra ISA
params in the BIOS.  Strangely, all the PCI modems I saw were PnP ;).
(3com/USR 56k faxmodem model 5698)
controller pnp0 is already in the kernel, swap the modems, boot, & nothing,
no PnP devices detected, no flattering comments about sio0-3
man pnp gives a few settings to configure with.
pnp 1 0 enable os irq0 3 drq0 0 port 0 0x2f8
pnp 2 0 enable os irq0 4 drq0 0 port 0 0x3f8
(blanket measures...)
Again, nothing.
boot_verbose offers no clues for me to spot any problems with.
I've also cut out all the parts & disabled all the MBoard features (sound &
ethernet) I don't need, but something is still sticking.
<dmesg>
Not included due to lack of immediate availability, but available on request
</dmesg>

I fear that the Bios Params are causing the ISA modem it's problems, &
something either overlooked by me or unsupported on the PnP side is balking
my attempts with the PCI modem, but I fear I've run out of places to think
to look.

I'l entertain suggestions. ;)

//Eric
And in the good old days, you could tell a piece of hardware to behave
thusly.  It either behaved, or was in need of a warrenty check.