Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:34:25 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Subject:   Re: having some trouble with linux-pango

Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

>> before.
>
> ...and understand that "the way it was before" means old linux x11
> port that was changing the file...

Yes.

> ..but don't quite understand what did you mean saying "the way it is".
> There are two ways:
>
> 1. The linux_base-rh9 port should be patched according to the PR.
> 2. Don't patch both, don't recommend using the linux_base-rh9 (and
>   others) and answer on questions here? I.e. leave it as is.
>
> So far we do have the latter. Is it "the way it is" that you meant?

No, I was talking about the default linux_base port and the linux X11 port.

Option number 1 should be done.

> [some time later]
> I wrote those words, but now think they are not very polite. Let me
> rephrase my thought.
>
> I'm very thankful for you and trevor@ for your contribution to
> FreeBSD. But we have two maintainers/committers with polar points of
> view on the matter. Something should be done.

I may want to note, that the default linux_base port was taken away from
Trevor. It was handed over to emultaion@ by me after talking with portmgr
about the responsivenes of Trevor and the importance of the linux
infrastructure.

While some other committers than me started to do a little bit of work on the
emultaion-maintained ports, I seem to be the only major player (as in
"committer") here. I don't like this. I would be happy if there would be
some kind of redundancy and load-balancing here.

And my opinions about the linux ports are not set in stone. Everybody is free
so make sensible suggestions. Unfortunately Trevor doesn't seems to want to
participate here. And while I try to give sensible technical reasons why the
current linux_base is handled the way it is, Trevor just says something like
"it was different before, change it back and it will work again"
(paraphrased).

   has to follow, or some good technical reasons have to be given to
   change the default linux infrastructure.
- If someone want to earn a ports commit bit, I'm willing to mentor
   someone who is willing to work on the linux infrastructure.
   Prerequisites:
     * several good PR's for the linux infrastructure (TODO list
       available on request)
     * proven track record of endurance and availability (e.g. by
       providing PR's over a (unspecified) timespan and fixing
       bugs which pop up in a timely manner)
     * a mind (you don't have to say YES to everything I suggest,
       as long as you come up with good technical reasons to say no)

> BTW, what if to print a message like this at after-install time for
> the linux X11 port:
> -----
> Note that you may need to add a line "/usr/X11R6/lib" to the file
> ${LINUXBASE}/etc/ld.so.conf" manually (if you don't one) and then run
> ${LINUXBASE}/sbin/ldconfig.
> -----

Adding something like this sounds good, but I wouldn't be that polite:
"Because of a bug in non-default linux_base ports, you have to add ...".

Do you have an idea how one can detect a non-default linux_base port in a
pkg-install script (pre-build package case)? I don't want to print something
like this when using the default linux_base port.

Bye,
Alexander.

Paranoia is heightened awareness.