Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:02:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Graham Dunn <gdunn@inscriber.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC-7899 Raid support in 4.2-Release

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install on a dell poweredge 2450 with the AIC-7899
> controller in RAID 5 mode.

There is no "7899 controller in RAID 5 mode".  The 7899 is a SCSI
controller chip.

What you're probably trying to do is use the built-in PERC controller,
which is not supported under 4.2-RELEASE.

> Initial install claims that it can't find any
> drives ... the controller appears in the supported hardware list, but
> various searches on the web have left the impression that it's not
> supported in RAID mode.

You're looking for the wrong thing there.

> Is this still the case in -stable?

No; the integreted PERC controllers are supported in -stable now.  Try a
recent snapshot and you should be fine.

Regards,
Mike