Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:22:13 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor changes to USER_LDT related code

Luoqi Chen wrote:

> > 1) Don't make i386_get_ldt and i386_set_ldt static so they can be
> >    used by the linuxulator.
> > 2) When ``option USER_LDT'' is not present, provide stubs for the
> >    functions. These simply return ENOSYS.
> > 3) Add the proper prototypes to i386/include/sysarch.h
> >
> I am in favor of calling generic sysarch() interface instead, it should be
> the only API outside world knows about.  And there will be no need to do
> any of the three items you listed above.

Well, I don't like to redefine i386_get_ldt_args or i386_set_ldt_args in
the Linuxulator, so I think (3) should be done anyway. Furthermore, using
the sysarch() interface when USER_LDT is not defined will return EINVAL and
not ENOSYS. That's a bit inconvenient because I can't tell which EINVAL
should actually be ENOSYS. As a third remark, a kernel module is hardly
"outside world" :-)

Anyway, I see your point, but don't think the sysarch interface is what I
need.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/