Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 05:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      tIM...HOEk@X3000
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/1468: Missing a port of uudeview & co.

>Number:         1468
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       A port of uudeview is not in the ports tree.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP i386
>Environment:

	Environment is a constantly changing beast.  One day snowy, the
next haily, and the next....who knows!

	It would seem, from looking at the ports collection, that there is
no software package by the name of uudeview.  This is incorrect and should
be remedied.

	UUdeview is a package for the decoding of encoded files (or
vice-a-versa --- encoding of decoded files).  It can handle BinHex,
Base64, uuencodation, and xxencodation.  It cannot encode to BinHex.
It is supposed to be a very robust package (with the possible exception
of the BinHex decoding).

	It has also come to my attention that there is another, equally
grave problem.  It has to do with time.  Envision, if you will, the
following.

	A sink.  A drain in the sink.  A clog in the drain.  The drain in
the sink, that is, not another one.
	A tap over the sink.  A tap ...The tap... is on.  Water...emptying
into the sink.  The sink.  Yes, with the clogged drain.  Three drips of
water appear to fall in for every 0 drips getting out.  Aha!  The problem!

	Interpretation: The drips are ports.  The ones getting out are
the ones getting looked at.  It would seem none are are getting out, or
looked at, if you would.  Eventually, the sink, or the gnats database
may overflow.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Type

find /usr/ports -name '*uudeview*'

	The system must be one that does not include a port of uudeview
or this attempt to repeat will fail.

>Fix:

	For the purposes of making things cleaner and of making the
package of greater and more general use the uudeview package is split
into two different ports.

uulib - The decoding/encoding library - /pub/FreeBSD/incoming/uulib-port.tar.gz
uudeview - The frontent - /pub/FreeBSD/incoming/uudeview-port.tar.gz
xdeview - The X front-end - non-existant, because I know nothing about tcl
                          - hopefully to exist sometime in the future, though.

	These files must be taken, checked, and committed (or rejected).

	DO NOTE that they are my second and third ports, respectively, so
look for the kind of mistakes that would be made by someone new to this
game.  My first port hasn't been checked, yet, so any mistakes in that
one (slnr), or either of these two, are likely present in all three ports.