Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:10:18 -0700
From:      Janet Sullivan <eliyanah@techie.com>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c574-TX PCMCIA NIC

The mediaopt half-duplex flag doesn't work with ep, at least on
4.2-STABLE from a couple of days ago.  The ep man page also does not
state it supports the full and half duplex mediaopt flags.  I tried that
before posting. ;-)

I had some time to do some further investigations with a cross over
cable and another FreeBSD box.  The ep0 in my laptop correctly auto
sensed both full and half-duplex at both 10baseT and 100baseTX speeds
when plugged into the other NIC (rl).  I'm now suspecting that there is
some kind of compatability problem between the 3c574-TX and my little
Linksys switch.  Unfortunately, its an unmanaged (dumb) switch that only
auto senses things, so I can't set anything on the switch side.  It also
looks like the 3c574-TX wants to be "auto only".  :-(  I decided to try
another OS on the laptop to see if the problem was the same, and it also
exists with SuSE 7.0 and Win98, neither of which lets you set the card
to anything but "auto" when it comes to speed and duplex.  So, at this
point it looks like the two "auto sensing only" pieces of hardware just
don't like each other.

My solution for now has been to go back to SuSE which supports my
Sohoware CardBus card.  I'd really rather run FreeBSD though.  Is anyone
out there using a 3c574-TX with a LinkSys 10/100 switch?