Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      BSD User <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        Thomas Quinot <quinot@inf.enst.fr>
Cc:        Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl>, <current@freebsd.org>, <fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple NFS server problems with Solaris 8 clients

Actually, upon instrumenting some code, it looks like RELEASE-4.4 gets it
mostly right.  It ejects a PROG_UNAVAIL call which causes the Solaris 8
client to back off.  The correct message would seem to be PROC_UNAVAIL,
but I would take PROG_UNAVAIL if I could get -current to eject it.

The NFS server code is pretty tangled stuff.  It builds RPC packets
manually, switches uses from EPROGUNAVAIL as well as RPC_PROGUNAVAIL, has
a jumble of macros with lots of side effects, and doesn't use anything
from the RPC descriptions of NFS.

I've been digging, but it has been really slow.  It looks like it's
probably some simple typo that got lost in the NFS megacommit.  I've been
trying to instrument the code to find the typo, but its taking a lot of
effort.  So far, I am seeing the packet getting built, but now I have to
try to watch it on its way out.

I must say that I now understand why no one is particularly enthused to
fix these NFS bugs.

Andy L.