Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:58:17 -0600
From:      "Seth Hieronymus" <sethh@principia.edu>
To:        <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newly installed 4.6Stable+gnome1.4x = Broken Sawfish

Stacey,

>1] Should I still think about recompiling Sawfish?

I missed what your problems were, but when I installed Gnome2, I was switching
back and forth between Sawfish and Metacity window managers.  I don't know if
this might help, but the best way I found was to put 'sawfish &' or 'metacity
&' before the 'exec gnome-session' in my .initrc.  Recompiling never hurts,
though.

>2] You mentioned in your earlier reply that your use sysutils/portupgrade for
>this purpose, how would I use portupgrade in this scenario? That is,
presumably
>as cvsup of my ports tree didn't flag Sawfish as requiring an upgrade, how do
>use portupgrade to re-compile Sawfish?

If you have used 'portsdb -Uu' after your port cvsups, then 'portupgrade -rR
gnome2' works, ie upgrades all depending and dependent ports in gnome2, in the
correct order.

>3] And a bit off-topic here, I did see that XFree86-4 Server had an available
>upgrade, so I ran portupgrade -R for this. Do I need to re-run XFree86 -
>configure for XFree86-4 again?

I haven't needed to.  The configure just produces the config text file.  I
just save that file everywhere I go, and modify by hand.

Hope that helps,
Seth Hieronymus