Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:02:22 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are we fighting a losing battle? (ramblings)

| rather have a *better* tool than a more popular one.

Good point.  Obvious, of course, but nice to be reminded of it.  :)

| HTML is a good example - I've been working the web since before Mosaic
| (aka Netscape) was founded as a company. The damage Netscape and MS
| have done to HTML made it much more popular, and a much worse tool -

Interesting observation.

| Linux is another one. Those trying to make Linux popular have made it
| so much like Windows that I consider it unusable (but there are some
| distributions I think are reasonable). However, I'm all for those

No argument here!  Linux has followed the same 'everything but the kitchen
sink, treat the user like an idiot' approach in many distros.  Which
distros *do* you like?

| I think you're choosing the wrong battle. The battle to fight is for
| awareness. Don't worry about market share - worry about mind share.

Ah, the most salient point of the whole message.  Well said.

| If we can get to the point where people don't *assume* you have a
| Windows box just because everyone they know has one, that's a win.

<snip>

| 1998. Once most people are aware there is some choice, then is the
| time to worry about making one.

Great points, as well.

Hey, as long as the community continues support for these projects, and
continues to provide  the tools we need to be productive with our
alterna-operating system choices, then it appears we will be okay.  Thanks,
Mike!

jonathon