Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:13:17 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons extension: "propellers"

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 02:42:52PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:56:45 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> > YES!  This comes up at least once a month on the -questions mailing
> > list. :-)
>
> I should have been more specific.  People are dead keen on these two
> features:
>
> 	1) dump an ascii capture of the screen to a file.
> 	2) dump the entire scrollback buffer to a file.

We need more than just an ASCII capture.  Grabbing the colour information
is also very useful.  This lets you make full colour pictures of things
like sysinstall.

If anyone's interested, I've still got the old patches to syscons (which
were mostly the work of a third party -- I'm damned if I can find out who
sent them to me in my mail archive though) and a little utility that converts
from the PC text mode screen format (each char described by 2 bytes, 1st
byte is ASCII value, second byte is colour, where top nybble is background
colour, bottom nybble is foreground colour).  It also reads and decodes the
same font files that syscons uses, so the GIF it outputs is as near as damn
it identical to what was on the screen originally.

Source code available free to a good home :-)

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell