Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 15:05:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hsu@clinet.fi, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

>  > You type <escape> and select it from the menu.  This is the first thing
>  > listed in the help region at the top of the screen.
>
> Really, take a random computer user and try it on him (the less (s)he has
> used computers the better).  It is worth taking the best available
> solution, particularly when a utility which will be used very often is
> selected.

Uhh, guys please, get this argument in perspective.

Take a totally clueless newbie and stick an unix box in front of them, yeah
right, an intuitive editor is really important in this situation !!!

I'm very much in the camp of make unix nicer/easier for the masses but
whether ee or pico are more intuitive alternatives to vi is not exactly
the main problem.

Let them have a basic editing tool to get themselves installed but if
they're *really* new to unix and don't know anything the first thing
they're going to have to do is buy a book, something like "Unix in a
nutshell" perhaps and it's not going to tell them in there how to use
ee or pico, it's got a chapter on vi and emacs since they're "standard"
unix editors. Most unix beginner books have a tutorial on using vi rather
than anything else.

There's a related point, don't gear FreeBSD so much to the non-unix user
that it becomes a chore to set it up as an experienced user would expect
it to be.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155