Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/2255: Client PPP negotiates Stacker compression - FDIV049

The following reply was made to PR bin/2255; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To: uhclem@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:48:40 +0100 (MET)

 As uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org wrote:

 >   When Script (textual) logins are
 > used, the Shiva terminal server (inside the Rapport) offers
 > Stacker compression #0, which for some reason it thinks the
 > FreeBSD (and Linux) PPP clients accept.  Once this happens, the
 > connection is established, but you can't do anything and your
 > logs fill with error messages.  Shiva thinks the problem is with
 > the FreeBSD PPP client since Trumpet Winsock also uses script
 > login and correctly negotiates PRED1 compression.
 >
 > By disabling PRED1 compression negotiation on the PPP client
 > side, the problem is avoided.

 This is a known (to me, at least :) bug.  Basically, this PR is a dup
 for PR # 2188, and could therefore be closed (and 2188 could be
 changed to `analyzed', though please don't expect me to fix the
 problem).  See my comments in the audit-trail of PR # 2188 for an
 explanation.

 --
 cheers, J"org