Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:12:53 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011258774.b0eafe@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: have i make the buildworld for any changes in the kernel source files?

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> I don't know the reason that "make kernel" doesn't work (or shouldn't
> be done anyway) if you haven't done "make buildworld" or what changes
> would require you to redo "make buildworld" before a "make kernel"
> (non-kernel src changes, I suppose), but I've seen the requirement
> mentioned many places.

More specifically, if the build tools have changed in ways that the
kernel changes depend on, you have to rebuild the build tools so the
kernel build will work properly. That's one of the major differences
between "make kernel" and the "config" method - "make kernel" will
check for a built object tree, and use *those* tools instead of the
tools used by the running system. That makes it possible to build a
kernel on a running system even if the tools on that system are
incapable of building the kernel. This means you don't have to install
a world to find out that the kernel it's in sync with won't boot on
your hardware.

Does that make sense?

	<mike