Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 1998 11:37:53 +0000
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jumper-setting for SONY SDT-7000

At 15:52 05.04.98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Malte Lance wrote:
>> Does anyone have detailed info on the meaning of the
>> jumpers "DC Disable" and "Terminator Power" for the
>> SONY SDT-7000 ?
>Hm.
>From the Sony web page
>http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/storage/faqs/dat.html#1:
> How does one set the SCSI ID, termination,
>                     term power, or parity on the SDT-5000/5200
>                     tape drive?
>
>                         Please refer to the SDT-5000/5200 Jumper
>                     Setting document. A FAX copy of the SDT-
>                     5000/5200 Jumper Settings document can be
>                     obtained by calling the Sony FAX Retrieval System
>                     at 1-800-883-7669, document 5761.

Nice service when you can call it. It is not possible from germany. :(
The german Sony-center is too ignorant to provide that kind of service/
support. 2 x :(

>That might explain `DC Disable'.  I'm tempted to think `Data Compression
>Disable'.

Me too, but then why is it listed under the category "Terminators" ???

>`Terminator Power' selects the source of terminator power; it
>should be set to come from the SCSI Bus.

The labels for open/close-position of this jumper are "provided" and
"Not provided". What should i choose ? (Ok ok ... answer it anyway please,
since i want to be sure, other people understand it the same way i do).
Why should it be set to "come from the SCSI Bus" ???
Why not set it to "get power for active termination on its own and not
supply it to the SCSI Bus" ?

Thanks for your help.

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com