Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:01:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How good a job of PCI config will freebsd do?

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Well, they're going to have the same basic stuff, and I can see that
> > they're not having much fun trying to get there.
>
> actually, "they" is "me": that's my project.

Yeep.  You don't know Fra Dolcini, do you?  That looks like a Really
Unpleasant Undertaking. 8(

> > I'm curious as to what you mean by "have to kill the BIOS" though; I'm
> > not seeing why it's an issue.
>
> Unless you've had to work with 1024 BIOS upgrades, it's not easy to see
> the need :-)

Er.  Ok, I can dig that.  However, there are only about three or four
different flash architectures commonly in use, and we can hope that
people are going to start using things like the Intel Firmware Hub, and
hopefully EFI later on.  I realise that you're not about to throw your
cluster hardware over for a pile of IA64 boxes just yet, but it strikes
me that it'd be easier just to write a userland flash updater than to
rewrite the BIOS from scratch. 8)

> Nevertheless, I'll drop it here. I was curious what FreeBSD could do.

Nothing, I'm afraid.  We expect the plaform firmware to work as expected/
documented...