Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:49:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LAN Postscript Printers

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, ccba wrote:

>     I am giving up on my endeaver to get my localtalk printer to be
> recognized by the FreeBSD machine, both connected via a hub.
>=20
>     I am thinkg about getting one of Apple's printers (LaserWriter IIf
> or IIg),
> or any Apple printer with both an Ethernet interface (AAUI) and
> localtalk ports.
>=20
>     Does anyone have one of these printer working with FreeBSD ??
>     Any recommendations ??????
>=20
>     I learned the hard way that Localtalk to Ethernet bridges don't work
> because they don't
> do TCP/IP.

Did you try to compile a custom kernel with AppleTalk support included? To
do this you'd need the following line in your kernel config file:

options=09NETATALK=09#Appletalk communications protocols

You could then install the netatalk package/port and take a look into your
default AppleTalk zone by entering at the command line:

nbplkup

If your LocalTalk printer will be visible you may try to print by using
the pap utility (see `man pap').

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg