Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:08:08 -0500
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Franco Vitali <francovitali@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP won t reconnect

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:16:17AM -0300, Franco Vitali wrote:
> I search the web for an answer, but i can?t find it. There are only
> unanswered posts, and some of them tell that there is a bug in PPP.
>
> I have a production machine with a RELENG_7 and a connection with the cable
> provider via PPP.
>
> The problem is that, when the connection drops, PPP remains like nothing
> happens, not even a log (even if i plug the ethernet cable). And, ovbiously,
> doesn't reconnect. In theory, the daemon must reconnect in "ddial" mode.
> What I am missing ?

try adding

  accept lqr
  enable lqr
  enable echo
  set echoperiod 15

to either the default or provider-specific section of ppp.conf to enable
ppp to check the link is alive.  After so many failed echo or lqr packets
it'll drop the connection and redial.

The above is copied&pasted from my PPPoE config which definitely does
detect the remote end going away and redialing.

Regards,

Gary