Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 13:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@privatelabs.com
To:        Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.on.ca>
Cc:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   wd vs. ata (was Re: BurnCD)

On  2 May, Rod Taylor wrote:
= As  a side  note to  this long  conversation, I'll  mention that  I've
= downgraded that box back to 3.4 and it now works properly again.

From my experience, you could've just  used the old wd driver instead of
the new ata stuff and ignore the config's warnings.

I  just upgraded  a  machine with  two  IDE disks  (one  master on  each
channel, with CMD640 stuff). One of the drives is at least 7 years old.

	wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <WDC AC2420H>
	wd2: 405MB (830760 sectors), 989 cyls, 15 heads, 56 S/T, 512 B/S

With ata  driver, an attempt to  mount the partition on  the drive would
result in a hang (not even console-switching would work) right after the
partition parameters were  printed by the kernel (booted  with -v). Both
of the  drives were being accessed  in pio mode automaticly,  judging by
the hw.ata... (pio,---,pio,---,). The first  disk, which is newer worked
fine.

With  wd  driver  the  second   drive  "just  works"...  This  was  with
4.0-RELEASE. I have  since upgraded to the 3 days  old -stable, but have
not tried ata again.

	-mi