Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:22:05 +1000
From:      "Danny" <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>
To:        <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading using /stand/sysinstall

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for replying to my email with the games.telstra.com/gamearena/
site it was very helpful.

I tried the instruction on a test machine in the email below:
and after the installation has completed I typed in "cp kernel.GENERIC
kernel" then reboot the computer

I am now currently running :

backup# uname -a
FreeBSD backup.freebsbsd.org 4.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE #0: Tue Jun 11
06:14:12 GMT 2002
murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
backup#

After the upgrade I am experiencing the following probelms with FreeBSD:

1) After FreeBSD has booted up I can't seem to log in with my old usernames
and password, I have checked /etc/passwd and I can't find the usernames.

2)When the machine boots up and I try to start the PostgreSQL service I get
the following error message
backup# ./010.pgsql.sh start
PGDATA: Undefined variable.
 pgsqlbackup#

3)When the machine boots up and I try to start the MySQL service I get the
following error message:
backup#   ./mysql-server.sh  start
 mysqldbackup#  pschown: mysql: illegal user name

4)When I load webmin to test it everything works fine expect Webmin still
shows I am running Version 0.93 on backup.freebsbsd.org (FreeBSD 4.3) after
the upgrade

Does anyone in the mailing list know how to solve the problems?

dannyho@bigpond.net.au