Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 22:24:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> RE: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html
>
> My computer is a home built Athlon 600, 512mb RAM, and
> here's the kicker: I have a Maxtor 40gb HD (94098U8)
> with just ONE partition (38.1gb) running Windows 98 OEM
> (4.10.1998).
> Can someone inform me of the best option to defrag this
> drive, scandisk-thorough it, and install FreeBSD?
Defragging and scandisking alone won't help you. You will
have to shrink the size of your dos-partition to create space for a
FreeBSD-slice. Last time I did that, there was a tool called
fips on the FreeBSD CD (probably in a directory called
tools).
The best source of information about all that is
www.freebsd.org/handbook  .

There is only one last good advice:
Do backup all your impotant files (that means those you
have worked on yourself).

> Also, once installed, is there a way to upgrade to 4.4
> (Sept 2001) via FTP or some sort of net-upgrade
> software?
Yes. This is the one and biggest advantage of FreeBSD:
Once you have got things running you, can update everything
via internet - daily if you like and completely free.
The net-upgrade software is called cvsup (you do not have to
pay it either).

> Thanks, help, I'll pay (PayPal) you even, :-)
You will have to pay us buy answering newbie's questions.

Regards,

Uli.