Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:16:28 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        ache@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

>In message <FaLS4ZmKU1@ache.dialup.demos.ru>
>    =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= writes:
>
>>In message <199510240141.SAA00275@corbin.Root.COM> David Greenman
>>    writes:
>
>>>   Any shell script which is suseptible to a security hole because a command
>>>failed to execute is broken. There are many reasons why things can fail
>>>ranging from no diskspace available to who knows what. I think Andrey's hack
>>>is an attempt to dam a river with a piece of tissue paper. The real problem
>
>>If we try to plug all potential holes that we find, even small ones,
>>probability of security violation becomes reduced. I don't plan to dam whole
>>river, just plug in small leak reducing leaks number at whole.
>
>BTW, why you stuck on "shell scripts" only? The same hole can hits
>when commands entered by hand, see my example.

   If you are capable of entering commands by hand then it is not an issue -
the malicious user can set the environment variables directly and he'll see
the command failure, so? Actually, I really don't think this is an issue in
any case, and I would rather see the hack removed than to continue in this
direction.
   Now that I've had some time to think about this, I would rather that we
just remove support for LD_NOSTD_PATH completely. Except for shared library
debugging, I can't think of a legitimate use for it.

-DG