Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:08:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Andrew Kinney <andykinney@advantagecom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: increasing KVA_PAGES and broken pthreads

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Andrew Kinney wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm brand new to this list so feel free to tell me to search the
> archives if this question has already been answered.  I have already
> done some searching and only found limited and/or antiquated
> information on the subject, though, so I'm pretty sure this hasn't
> been addressed yet.
>
> Does anyone know if a PR was ever submitted for the issue at:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg38532.html

That patch is in the RELENG_4 tree and will be included in 4.8

> I know from reading the thread that a patch was created and sent
> to this list.  Was that patch ever made a part of the CVS tree?  If
> so, what branch would I have to track to pick up that patch?  I'd like
> to avoid adding patches that CVSup will clobber later.

yes it was.. but not in RELENG_4_7 because that is for security patches.

> We're now tracking RELENG_4_7 (FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE +
> security fixes).  I haven't tried changing KVA_PAGES since version
> 4.5 and I'm a little gun-shy on changing that particular tunable
> since it has so many potential application gotchas, like with
> pthreads.
>
> The RELENG_4_7 CVS tree (updated yesterday) doesn't appear to
> have the patch mentioned in the thread I referenced in the URL at
> the beginning of my message.  Our version string for that file:
>
> * $FreeBSD: src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_init.c,v 1.23.2.7 2001/11/03 00:33:07 peter Exp $

4.7 is being left behind.. look at 4.8

> IMHO, this issue could be a royal pain in the butt when I start
> working on quad processor systems with 32GB of RAM (not
> unrealistic at this company).

Well we can't USE 32GB od RAM yet.. I doubt that 4.x will ever be able
to do that (though I could be proven wrong).

> I'd like to stay with FreeBSD, but the
> issues with large memory support are rapidly becoming more
> prominent due to the *huge* memory systems in use here, with
> even larger memory systems on the way in the near future.  I came
> from the Linux camp (back when 2.0/2.2 kernels were the newest
> in use) and I don't want to have to go back, though I no longer have
> any clue how those boys handle large memory systems.  Maybe
> they're not any better in that department.  I just happen to like
> FreeBSD better and would prefer to stick with it if possible.

track RELENG_4