Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:01:09 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Market share and platform support

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 09:52:00PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Want me to do that? Then help to ensure that I can go ahead
> with plans to release a high-end FreeBSD distribution. One of the things
> the investors are holding out on is that they MUST be assured that
> Walnut Creek does not and will not control development. Which,
> right now, it seems to, since it runs the primary servers and
> provide income to you, Mike Smith, and (correct me if I'm wrong on
> this) David Greenman. This gives it substantial control of FreeBSD's
> purse strings. Legally, Walnut Creek owns the work you do on company
> time, too -- so long as it pays you a salary. (If it pays FreeBSD, Inc.
> for your services as a consultant, or pays you as an independent
> contractor with an explicit contract provision stating that it doesn't
> get all the rights, that's different.)

Argh. Brett this is one of a few times that you have made this totally
uninformed claim about the relationship between the project and Walnut
Creek CDROM. You have _no_ first hand, or even second hand knowledge as
to how this is laid out except for your wild fears which you seem to
have let loose.

Being an employee of WC and working solely on FreeBSD, I have first hand
knowledge. The relationship is very simple. We give them a release
schedule so that they know when to expect to be able to replicate/sell
new products and in return they support us financially by paying for
things like trips to trade shows, and ethernet cards for Bill Paul :)
That's it. The picture you paint of Walnut Creek CDROM as the looming
business holding Jordan and the FreeBSD project's puppet strings is
absurd and miles from the truth.

Here's some more first hand info, _none_ of us are in this for the money.
Most certainly not. We work for Walnut Creek CDROM on FreeBSD because we
believe in it as *the* kick-ass operating system. Do you really think
that we'd continue to do so if WC was holding the project's puppet
strings?

-Bill

--
-=| --- B i l l   S w i n g l e --- http://www.dub.net/