Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 14:27:11 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@silverback.gorilla.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   /boot/boot.conf (was: Re: CRUSH after recompile kernel... )

> '/boot/loader' in it. I don't even know what the /boot/boot.conf is used for
> and there should not be a /boot.conf. Will keep fiddling with it, thanks for

/boot/boot.conf is a script where you can put commands for the new
boot loader.  When you boot sometime you will get the message from the
new boot loader which tells you it will boot the kernel in 10 seconds
unless you press enter (boots immediately) or any other key (which
puts you in a command line interpreter).  I put "autoboot 5" and "set
no_autoboot=1" in the configuration file to shorten this waiting for
keypresses a little bit.  The seems to be no man page about this at
present, though.  I just read the source instead.

This command line interpreter can take commands which seem to be
intended for loading modules into the kernel and adjusting some
settings.  Not that usefull right now in comparision to what we had
already with the exception of the module loading and ELF but enables
one to more easily add new things at this point in the boot process
and removes the size limit we had previously.

If you want 100 kernel formats you just add them the same way a.out
and ELF are in there.  One could add some diagnostics software there,
too.  Some people might like a nice logo appearing during the boot
process.  Just depends on what one needs and not space limits as far
as I understand it.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.