Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:40:30 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: including generated documentation with source

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> writes:
> I help maintain documentation (man pages, guides in html, pdf, and plain=
=20
> text, and api/developer docs in html). The original source of the docs=20
> is in docbook or doxygen.  I'd prefer not to include the generated docs=20
> in the source tree (git repo) because slight differences in the=20
> documentation tool chains on each developer's system. But I also don't=20
> want the end-user to have to install all the many software dependencies=20
> for providing the documentation end results so I include them in my=20
> "make dist" tarballs.  (I am using autoconf/automake framework.)

Look at the OpenPAM source code, particularly

http://www.openpam.org/browser/openpam/trunk/doc/man/Makefile.am

Almost all of the man pages are generated at compile time.  The use of
the "dist" prefix in Makefile.am ensures that they are included in the
distribution, even though they are not in the repo.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no