Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:10:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD won't boot any more. HELP!

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:39:57PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> One random thought is that my boot partition is well beyond cylinder
> 1023. I know that this limit has been worked around in some way, but
> could I have messed it up when I re-wrote the boot block? Is there
> some other magic I need.

    boot0cfg -o packet /dev/ad0

perhaps.  However, take not of the warnings in the boot0cfg man page:

BUGS
     Use of the `packet' option may cause `boot0' to fail, depending on the
     nature of BIOS support.

As it used to work, I guess you do have a compatible BIOS.  If,
however, it all goes horribly wrong you would have to boot up a fixit
disk to clean up the mess.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK