Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:23:50 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <Marcov@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spontaneous reboot

I know this is not meant as a bug reporting list, but since I'm on it
for other purposes, I thought I could sent it in anyway.

I trashed a FreeBSD (probably 3.4, I get the exact version mailed
next week) by creating a bash script that contained

ping  xxx.yyy.zzz.vvv &

line 15 times, and executing the script in the background several
times (more like 10) from the commandline with

script &

(we were trying to slow down my roommates win98 laptop from the
FreeBSD dorm firewall machine,  over internal dorm network only).
Needless to say the roommate wasn't impressed when the
FreeBSD machine rebooted, and the win98 machine only slowed
down minimally :-)

The machine was a p133 with 32 MB, and I started the script as
user not as root.

I can access the machine for simple tests or configuration data if
that is necessary. Since it was the firewall, so we didn't try to
replicate the experiment